Thursday, May 19, 2011

An Easier Way to Pack Lunch

Hello Dear Readers,
     I hope your day has been a good one so far! Thanks so much for stopping over for a visit.- Thought I'd share a simple little tip for anyone who ever packs a lunch during the week - either for yourself or members of your family. My husband takes packed lunches to work with him everyday. For a long while he would pack his own, and eventually I started to notice that he would seem to run out of food, or energy (or both) and have to make snack purchases to keep him going through the day.- I found out he was just grabbing whatever there was in the house that didn't require prep work - which wasn't much - and that supply would run out long before his work day did!
     Now, the whole reason that I didn't pack his lunch in the first place was because I hate mornings. There I said it. Add into that equation foods that are not meant to be smelled in the morning, and I would turn into Mrs. Grumpy Gills (10 points if you can name that movie). - I tried making his lunch at night, but that was so easy to forget because once dinner was over, my body -and consequently my brain- were "off duty" for the day. So I've arrived (finally) at some sort of compromise that seems to be working:
     Each week after I come home from grocery shopping, I make up a bunch of "lunch baggies" to last throughout the week for either one of us to easily grab in the wee smas to throw into his lunch bag along with a freshly made sandwich (made by him) or leftovers from the night before. Here is a small sampling of some things I can easily pre-prep:
The week is more than halfway over, so this is all we have left, but you can see:
Olive Chips
Clemtines
Granola Bars
Applesauce (sprinkled with your favorite spice...my DH loves cardamom)
Baby Carrots
Peanut Butter Filled Celery
Smoked Almonds
some other super easy pre-preps are:
Cheese and Crackers*
Pepper Slices
Hummus and Pita Wedges*
Chips and Salsa*
Grapes (frozen grapes are lovely too)
Bananas covered in peanut butter and wrapped in cling wrap
Homemade cookies/bars
Muffins
Grape Tomatoes (keep these out of the fridge so they don't get mealy)
The list could go on and on! Do you have any great lunch items that are easy to make ahead of time to share with us?

*(but bag them separately - one doesn't like the pantry, and the other doesn't like the fridge!)