Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sunburst Makeover - By: Carmel

*Tomorrow is our next Little Happy Blog Hop! Don't forget to come back and join in the fun!

Hello,  I'm back today to talk about one of my favorite things to do and show you a little something I "created".  I love to shop thrift stores, goodwills, and yard sales for old, unwanted and vintage finds.  I think the biggest key to shopping these places is being able to see the potential.  I love searching for a good "diamond in the rough".   I created a sunburst mirror with a recent find, and I use the word "created" rather loosely here because the truth is it was super easy!  There really wasn't much creating involved.  Honestly, all I really did was think outside the box or outside the clock if you will.


I found this baby at a consignment store.  It was hanging on the wall looking a little sad all covered in dust.  A thick, disgusting don't-let-your-kids-touch-it layer of dust!  In the store it actually looked kind of grey.  Well, the mid-century modern look of it really caught my eye.  I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame :)  I rubbed my finger on it to see what it was made of and removed a layer of dust to see the gold underneath.  My heart skipped a beat.  Then I looked over at the price tag; it was marked $18!  My heart was racing.  I could see that this clock was clearly not functional, but I didn't care one bit because I had no intention of using it as a clock anyway.  I knew from the moment I laid my eyes on it that it was going to be repurposed into a mirror!  

Anyhow, once I de-funked the clock with the power of Windex, I got to work on de-facing her.  Things got a little craaaaaazaaay!  I used some pliers to take off the face of the clock.  I had to tug and pull pretty hard and in the process actually broke a few of the spokes/bursts!  Ooops!


A little super glue to the rescue!  Then I opened up this little box of mirrors that I purchased from Target a while ago for another project.  I think it was $19.99.


I tried out a couple different sizes and decided I liked the smaller one best.



Then I just super glued that reflective beauty right on to the face of what was a clock.  Added a heavy box on top to hold it in place until it dried and voila, a mid-century modern sunburst mirror!


I love love love it!


I love that it cost me a fraction of the price compared to many other sunburst mirrors from home decor retailers.  In addition, this one is very unique.  It was the perfect addition to the hubs office/ man cave. 


Come on over to Our Fifth House to see what's going on over here!  

Have a wonderful day!