Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Countdown to Valentine's Day

Today I have a wonderful Valentine's Day idea to share from Paige @ Paiges of Style.  My hubby and I do a form of this idea every year, which is why I liked it so much - this one's just WAY cuter :-)! DH and I just use little doily hearts to write notes of love to each other from February 1st through the 14th, and boy does it help set the tone for the season! I'm sure your loved ones will really enjoy this "countdown to Valentine's Day". Take it away Paige:
 
For me Valentine's isn't about chocolate and flowers. And I don't really feel the need for gifts so closely following Christmas (but I certainly wouldn't turn a gift away)  What I do love about this holiday is the love note that my husband writes to me each year. He has a special talent for writing cards, I cry every time I read own of his sappy love letters.

Start the countdown to Valentine's on February 1st with this {sweet} advent calendar. On the inside of each envelope, write a love note and tell your sweetie what it is about them that makes you smile. For my girls, I also wrote out a fun valentine's activity that we can do that day. We'll be baking cookies, drawing hearts and taking bubble baths. Let me know what you will be doing with your sweeties!

Follow these DIY instructions and make you own sweet calendar. 

Here are the supplies you will need:
1. Download the 14 envelope files here, you will need to sign up for a Scribd account to download
2. White Cardstock
3. Scissors
4. Glue
5. A cute way to display your cards, I used ribbon and mini clothespins
  Download all 14 of the envelope files first- get them here
 Print the files onto white cardstock
 Cut out the outline of the "envelope"
Fold all four corners of the "envelope" into the center
Write your love note or activity in the center
Fold in two triangles that are opposite each other and dot with glue. Repeat 
with the two remaining sides (make sure that the side with the 
number on it is the topmost triangle) Next, place the "envelope" underneath something heavy while it dries.
They should look something like this after the glue sets
Aren't they adorable?
You're done! Now display them!
I hung mine up on gorgeous ruffled ribbon with mini clothespins.  Mine went up in completely random order. We're learning our numbers over here so this will help Miss Charley in identifying numbers and learning to count.
See, isn't this ribbon amazing?

Thanks so much Paige for sharing your idea with us!