Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sprucing Up on a Shoestring

Hello All, 
Thanks so much for stopping by today! As we're approaching spring cleaning/house spruce-up season, I thought I'd show you a couple of house projects that we've done that took very little money, but had a wonderfully refreshing outcome!
Before
After
First, this is my mudroom. I still have some larger scale projects to do to it (painting and replacing the floor), but in the mean time the visual clutter from my DH's work dresser/hamper and extra food storage shelf were driving me crazy! SO, we went to Lowes and purchased a wooden dowel and end cups; to Ross for  a couple of drape panels; then "shopped" around the house to find a few things to hang on the wall and some fabric to cover the ugly wire shelving. Did some deep cleaning, a little spray paint for the washboard that was getting rusty,  and I feel like I have a much more pleasant mudroom with all the shelving (and vacuum) now neatly hidden!
Before
Second project is the kitchen sink. This is an area in our house that most of us spend a good deal of time in, isn't it? Mine was ok, but there were a few little things that were pleading for some updating. One was the soap dispenser that you had to pump at least three times (with umph!) only to be rewarded with a measly little pea-sized squirt of soap. Another was the old counter rags that were stained and pilled. Lastly, the curtains were semi-sheer, and you could see the cheapo white metal rod showing through the top. SO, for this project I went to Big Lots and got a black decorative curtain  rod for $5 to match the iron accessories I have throughout the kitchen. Washed and ironed the curtains.-  Then a trip to Ross (love that place for home decor) produced a couple of matching dispensers (that worked!): one for soap and one for lotion. They were $5 for the pair.
After
Also while I was at Ross, I found some nice new dishtowels for $3.99 that are a darker color so as not to show food stains as readily. Cleaned and dusted, changed the window candle holder, displayed the fresh cloths, and voila! A spruced up sink area for $15.
Do you have any "sprucing on a shoestring" tips for us today? Please share!

*This was originally posted on my Windy Poplars site way back in its early beginnings. Did any of you see this original post? It would sure be fun to see how many readers have been with me through this whole journey! I know there are a few of you!