Friday, December 31, 2010

Let's Talk About Dirty Laundry

How many of you llloooovvveee doing your laundry? Yeah. Thought so. Me neither. But, I have found a few things that have made this necessary, if unpleasant-at-times task, much more bearable.

*First of all: get a laundry sorter. You know the kind that has three separate compartments? They're great! We have one in our mud room for household laundry (sheets, towels, etc.), and also in our master closet we have three separate hampers(one for lights, one for darks, and one for delicates). That way, your family will sort the laundry for you as it accumulates. All you have to do is grab one hamper (or side of a sorter) and throw it in the wash. Time saver for sure...

*Next get a small basket or jar to put beside the hampers in each family member's room. You could even put a cute little "don't forget!" sign on them. The purpose of this is to remind them to check their pockets and empty the contents into the jar before they throw their clothes in the laundry. Again, saving you a step at the washing machine (and saving your clothes from old gum, chapstick, and receipts getting washed into them)!

*Lastly, a little tip for actually getting the laundry efficiently done: Sometimes, I'd put a load in the wash first thing in the morning, eat, leave, and totally forget that I had laundry getting stale in the washing machine when I returned home. Or worse...I would forget it overnight. Ugh and nastiness! Ever happen to you? So I had the idea of putting a tiny little lamp in the laundry room that, as soon as I fill the washer, the light goes on. That way, every time I pass the laundry room and see the light on, I'm reminded to go switch the wash over to the dryer. Once the clothes are done and out of the dryer, I turn the light off. - Because my laundry room is right off my kitchen, it's easy for that light to catch my eye all through the day. - If you have a washer and dryer on a floor different from that of your main living space where it's even easier to forget your laundry in progress, you could still use this concept by designating a "laundry light" somewhere within your main living area. Maybe on your kitchen counter, or your piano, or in a bookshelf? Only use that lamp (or nightlight, whatever) for your laundry. You'll still get the same reminder whenever you see it on. - Tada! No more stale clothes!

Linking to:
 Frugal Friday
 Friday Follow